The period of time that dogs learn the most at the most rapid rate is between birth and 14 weeks of age. It is important to give your puppy a good foundation on which to build its life skills. Most often, a well-behaved puppy will grow into a well-behaved adult.
This class is open to dogs under 1 year of age. Dogs as young as 10 weeks old are welcome.
Please be sure that your puppy is either micro-chipped or has an identifying tag on its collar. Puppies need to have had at least two parvo-distemper shots before classes start.
The class follows the AKC STAR Puppy program and will help you get your puppy started on the following basic skills:
- Stay (for just a very short period of time and build from there)
- Loose Leash Walking - handler will learn how to keep puppy's focus while on leash
- Tricks - puppy will learn a few fun tricks to help build focus
- Puppy socialization (your puppy will be exposed to other puppies and new people)
At the end of this session you and your puppy will have the opportunity to take the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test for no (additional) cost.
THINGS TO BRING TO YOUR FIRST CLASS!!
- Puppy should be wearing a collar (flat, martingale, training) or harness with a 6 foot leash (nylon, cord, or leather).
- Bring an extra large beach towel or small blanket and a folding chair, as we will be on the ground or sitting for some exercises.
- Bring lots of treats - small, soft, smelly or kibble or any high motivation food – and a wearable treat bag.
- Bring water for both you and Puppy and a small water bowl.
- Bring a copy of proof of most recent vaccines.
- Bring poop bags and a tote bag to carry all of the above!